Written by Anita Manley
I wouldn’t be where I am today – living a life in recovery from a severe and persistent mental illness – if I did not choose to take action for my own good, every day.
Self-care is meant to restore your energy and to make you the best version of yourself. It is so important to take at least half an hour every single day to do something good for yourself – to add fuel to your fire.
There are many forms of self-care and it is imperative that you opt for something that you love doing.
Here are Forty Favorites of mine to help inspire you to refuel daily:
- Say no and be OK with it. Setting clear boundaries is healthy and essential.
- Unplug! Technology has us frazzled – unplug for an hour daily – especially before bedtime.
- Enjoy a cup of tea.
- Read a book, or peruse a used book store or library.
- Go to the movies/a play/a musical.
- Knit or do other crafts (scrap-booking/ crochet/ sewing etc.)
- Journal. Get your thoughts down on paper to free your mind.
- Garden. I live in an apartment, but I have a lovely balcony garden which includes fresh herbs and tomatoes.
- Give yourself a manicure/pedicure.
- Take a beautiful photograph.
- Exercise. In addition to walking 10,000 steps per day, my doctor says 30 mins x 5 times per week. Get heart rate up to 120. I’m trying!
- Go for a nature walk/ bird watch/ feed the birds.
- Take a refreshing bath/ shower.
- Prepare and eat a healthy meal while listening to relaxing music.
- Play an instrument.
- Write a letter to an elderly relative… or anyone.
- Go to the hairdresser.
- Go shopping.
- Do a crossword/ Sudoku/ puzzle.
- Have a nap.
- Chat with a friend.
- Reassess you friendships. Purge toxic relationships.
- Do a good deed every day! It makes you feel good too.
- Spend time with your pet or pet a cat/ dog while out on a walk.
- Practice daily meditation.
- Listen to your favorite music.
- Donate things you no longer need/ use.
- Declutter/ tidy up.
- Hydrate – drink lots of water.
- Write daily gratitudes.
- Practice positive self-talk.
- Laugh with gusto and often!
- Spend time with your children/ grandchildren/ nieces/ nephews and get to know them well.
- Take a ride on a bus and get off and explore new areas of town.
- Go to a museum or art gallery.
- Go for a bike ride and pack a picnic.
- Kayak, canoe, swim, go to the beach.
- Cuddle on the couch with your loved one(s).
There are so many other nourishing things you can do – this is just a start to help you feel inspired to make daily self-care a priority in your life every single day.
Give it a try! Start making self-care a priority! You’ll be glad you did.